Style period: gothic
At the beginning of the 15th century, the prince Nikola IV ordered the erection of this high, late Gothic, hexagonal tower for securing the south-western part of the city and the defence of the quay. It had an ancient stella with an image of a married couple placed on the west surface of the wall. It also had the inscription with his name, the year 1407 and the coat of arms of Krk princes carved into the stella. The tower was a part of a comprehensive fortification of city walls, which were at the time modified for fire arms. Today the tower is considerably shorter. It originally had a crown over the last terrace which served as a platform for the guns. Vinciguerra called this tower Torre di Barbuglia – Bearded Tower. The name is connected to the Barabands, bearded soldiers in charge of the guns, who are mentioned among the men of other fortresses in Croatia, such as Sisak and Dubrovnik.